Staffed by British Regulars, adult male students underwent a three-month long military course at the School of Military Instruction in Toronto.
Established by Militia General Order in 1864, the school enabled officers of militia or candidates for commission or promotion in the Militia to learn military duties, drill and discipline, to command a company at Battalion Drill, to drill a company at Company Drill, the internal economy of a company, and the duties of a company's officer.
Simcoe decided to move the Upper Canada capital from Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) to York, The York garrison was constructed at the entrance of the town's natural harbour, sheltered by a long sandbar peninsula.
In the 1660s, the Iroquois established two villages within what is today Toronto, Ganatsekwyagon on the banks of the Rouge River and Teiaiagon on the banks of the Humber River.
By 1701, the Mississauga had displaced the Iroquois, who abandoned the Toronto area at the end of the Beaver Wars.
The Grand Trunk Railway and the Northern Railway of Canada joined in the building of the first Union Station in downtown.
The advent of the railway dramatically increased the numbers of immigrants arriving, commerce and industry, as had the Lake Ontario steamers and schooners entering port before.